"My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud."
-Henry Rollins
Recently I bought myself a new pair of black, leather riding boots. I am a huge fan of these boots and am probably going to start wearing them nearly every day. They are really great looking and make a really comforting click click noise when you walk around on hard floors...exactly the kind of noise I like, because it makes me feel grown up and important. Today is my very first day of wearing said boots. To say the least, my feet are in pain and feeling a bit pinched. I have enormous calves that are totally disproportionate to the rest of my body (sigh), so the tops of the boots are pretty snug (read uncomfortable). They are leather, so they'll probably stretch a bit to the perfect fit EVER...then I will procede to wear them all the time, always.
I decided today, as I was limping to work, that wearing in new boots is kind of like moving to a new city. I moved to New York, with full knowledge that, though I knew some people who I went to school with, it would be utterly new. I ordered the boots on the same premise. I knew that I liked the style and that they would probably fit in well with the rest of the clothes I own (as well as those which I hope to own). We create these dreams and perfect lives around what we already know about ourselves. I was worrisome about the boots, because I always have a hard time with boots fitting my obscenely large calves....but I took the plunge anyway. Similarly, I have an abrasive, loud, and sometimes intimidating personality (I blame my Scottish heritage for both my calves and my outlandish personality). This upfront personality has won me many a close friend and not a few enemies. It is sometimes hard for me to meet new people. However, I took the chance and moved to a new city where I knew almost no one.
You see, I really wanted those boots and I've been pining over them for years...similarly I'd been pining over my future in the big city. My new found quest in life is to do what makes me happy, to search out those opportunities that challenge me, and make me a person I can be proud of. I spent too much of my college career trying to please everyone but myself. I ignored the fact that I couldn't be happy with just me and searched for that happiness in the actions of others. No more, I say! I think this laise-faire attitude about happiness comes from our own laziness and denial...it's too hard to actually look introspectively for happiness and it's easier to blame everyone/thing else.
So even though I'm in a big city without many close friends, I know I will have new friends (to compliment the old) soon. Undoubtably, this city will fit like my (soon to be) favorite pair of black leather, riding boots. I am willing to deal with my feet pinching a little if it means growing up and out. Happiness (and comfortable boots) await.
No comments:
Post a Comment