Monday, October 11, 2010

Drum Roll Please....C

Whereeee to begin? B and I have been friends since the early days of college.  We met because B was more than terrified at the prospect of leaving Minnesota and starting a new life in the crazy, exciting (sarcasm) east coast city where our small liberal arts college was located.  I, of course, talked her down and told her that she could do this! and the world was her oyster! and she's stronger than she knows!...along with some other probably equally cliched pep talk phrases.  I find this beginning to our friendship somewhat odd in retrospect, because it was B who ventured into the dangerous waters of adulthood first, and she who took a giant leap in moving to a brand new (big) city.

I was utterly devastated at graduation.  Our college was my oyster, my universe; I was a somebody there, somebody people knew.  I remember thinking (naively) that I would simply get a job before/ at/ directly after graduation and simply move to New York City!  Little did I know, this is not such a simple plan.  Moving to new cities (without the protection of a college structure) takes time, money, planning, support, etc.  I barely had any money at graduation, and really no concrete plan.  Things had always just fallen into place for me, as things do for many people before the shock of post-grad life hits.  Graduating was literally like being born again.  I felt so disoriented.  I had no purpose.  I have never in my life felt so lost.  I literally lied in my bed in Colorado moping for almost an entire month.

Anyways, long story short, after a few months of working myself to the bone at a restaurant for measly pay, a fruitless visit to NYC, a case of mono AND strep throat AND (almost) skin cancer, selling all of my belongings, and packing up TWO suitcases....BAM I was taking a huge leap of faith and living with a friend in Connecticut.  After a very tumultuous two weeks, where I was sure nothing was going to work out and I was going to return to Colorado having spend almost none of my money, I got a job and an apartment...almost in the same day.  So here I am, living the big city life.  I honestly feel like a make a wish child....I DID have skin cancer.  Maybe God listens to prayers after all.  All I know is that being an adult is scary, scarier and more stressful than anything I dealt with in college (or before that for that matter).  Oh, and it's also ridiculously expensive.  So, for now, I'm going to go sit wide-eyed and hungry amongst my eleven hundred dollar bedroom furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment