B was telling me the other day that she underexaggerated her relationship with her boyfriend when telling her cousin about him a few weeks ago. This led to him being almost insultingly surprised that "that is still going on." I find that, when talking to family members, I often OVERexaggerate my relationships with men. I have several reasons for doing this. Reasons being:
1. "Sooooooooo......meet any guys out there in New York City???" -My stepmom
-Translation: "Sooooooo....have you purchased any cats yet?....You know, to sate your unremitting
loneliness?"
-Rebuttal: I AM TWENTY-TWO YEARS OLD, NOT FORTY!
2. "C, are you.....................................................................................weird?" -My mom
-Translation: "C, are you a big, butch lesbian??"
-Rebuttal: I love sex.....with men. THE END OF THE STORY.
3. "It's your turn girl!" -My mom
-Translation: "When you gon' be poppin' out some grand babies?!?!?!"
-Rebuttal: A. YOU ALREADY HAVE FIVE GRANDCHILLENS' CRAZY! B. I AM TWENTY-
TWO YEARS OLD, NOT FORTY!
So, when talking to family members, I tend to exaggerate my relationships. Repeat hook ups (read: F**k Buddy) with a socially retarded, med school bound hottie equals "kinnnnd of seeing this guy...but we're not that serious." Going on one date and planning a second, which never really happens because he's the flakiest man on earth, equals "Well there's this great British guy who I could see myself dating, we'll see where things go....could get serious." Because when it comes down to it, they're three thousand or so miles away, they'll believe what I tell them. Honestly, I don't really think that they're looking for the straight answer, they're really looking for what they want to hear (aren't we all?)....soooooo I justify the exaggeration.
With Valentine's Day looming, it becomes a time where we all really have to come to terms with the little exaggerations we've made in our love lives. If you're not spending the big night together (barring conscientious objectors), you're not dating, you're not serious, and it's possibly (probably) not going anywhere. Valentine's Day, while full of garbage and forced romantic exhibitionism, is the great revealer in so many ways. As for me, I'm pretty glad I'm not spending V Day with any of my recent exaggerations. I'm not sure I could handle a date that's sole conversational fare is comprised of soccer...and I certainly couldn't handle a V Day dinner with a mate who can't put his phone down for one second and passes out at 11 pm. These kinds of V Day losers sure make the time in between fun, but they're certainly no one to devote any real energy or special feelings towards. So thank you St. Valentine, for removing any kind of illusions I would have had about these men and replacing them with illusions of love to come. For now, I guess I'll just spend Valentine's Day, like I would any other day: watching How I Met Your Mother and being content with myself.
In the vein of illusions of the heart and mind, I would like to present the illusions of Taylor Swift's heart and mind with an in depth comparison of an element of her artistry.
Back to December: An Analysis of the Elements......

No comments:
Post a Comment